Teen who left victim with fractured eye socket walks free

windows wirral fitters seaview windows wallasey

A teenager who left his victim with a fractured eye socket and cheek has walked free today.

Joseph Ogg punched the back of Robbie Jackson’s head several times after a day spent drinking on Ainsdale beach.

Ogg, 19 and of Myrtle Grove, Southport, initially claimed he had acted in self-defence but Liverpool Crown Court heard there was no provocation when he launched the “nasty” attack.

Prosecuting, Zillah Williams said that the victim, then 17, had gone to the beach with friend Gary Melia on June 24 last year.

wallasey printers liscard wallasey

They met up with more friends and spent several hours there, during which time Ogg was there in a separate gathering which knew the first group.

Find your nearest vaccination centre by entering your postcode below

The exact reason for Ogg launching the attack shortly after 10:30pm remains unclear, with the victim believing it occurred after he attempted to break up an argument involving Ogg.

Ms Williams said: “Without warning, the defendant without any provocation started punching Mr Johnson to the back of the head about three of four times.”

wirral airport transfers mersesysideairportservice.co.uk

Mr Melia recalled a slightly different version of events in which Mr Jackson jokingly referred to him as a ‘virgin’.

Ms Williams explained: "At that time, the defendant started punching Mr Jackson two or three times.”

The victim was taken to Southport Hospital having sustained a fractured right eye socket, fractured right cheek and cuts to his eyelid and cheek.

There was also heavy swelling across his face and Mr Jackson was referred to a facial surgeon at Aintree Hospital but ultimately no treatment was required.

The judge said it was clear the teenager had been drinking before the attack

He experienced numbness to his face in the months after the attack and still has visible scarring.

In a victim personal statement summarised by Ms Williams, Mr Jackson said he was forced to miss two week’s work after the incident, had been left anxious to go out, and fears the impacts of the attack will stay with him for a long time.

Ms Williams said that Ogg has one previous conviction for common assault for which he was handed a seven month youth referral order.

Defending, Paul Wood conceded that the offence crossed the custody threshold but argued that a suspended sentence was a sensible option due to Ogg’s remorse, young age and actions since the incident.

Mr Wood said Ogg was using cannabis heavily during the time of the attack but has not taken drugs since and stopped drinking after Christmas.

He said that Ogg is now working as a labourer and hopes to be taken on as an apprentice in order to learn a trade.

Mr Wood explained that Ogg had experienced and witnessed domestic abuse at the hands of his father during childhood and said his mum believed he was a “nice, kind” person who needed help with counselling.

Sentencing, Judge Andrew Menary QC said the attack happened after Ogg “no doubt had been drinking”.

He said: “This was a wholly unprovoked attack on a young man for no reason other than perhaps you took offence to something said by him or friends.

“It was a completely pointless attack.”

He warned Ogg that he came very close to being locked up as he handed down a 12 month sentence suspended for 18 months.

Ogg, who earlier pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm, was also ordered to pay £1,400 compensation to his victim and complete 25 days of rehabilitation activities.

The judge also issued a restraining order banning Ogg from contacting his victim for the next two years.