Amazon Best Sellers
  • Wed. Feb 21st, 2024

Police watchdog ‘assessing’ after man hits head on curb


Nov 16, 2023

The IOPC has confirmed they are looking into Merseyside Police after a man was injured while being detained.

Officers were called to the bridge on Sefton Road in Litherland at 11am on Monday (November 13) after people became concerned for the safety of a man in his 40s. The man was detained on Field Lane and a video obtained by the ECHO shows him hitting his head on a curb as he is brought to the floor by officers.

Merseyside Police have now referred themselves to the Independent Office for Police Conduct and the IOPC are "assessing the available information to determine what further action is required."

READ MORE: Thomas Cashman 'not tough enough to do the time' after Olivia Pratt-Korbel murder

blackpool wedding photographer, blackpool photography service,,blackpoolvideographyservice

READ MORE: Taxi boss and wife involved in suspected murder-suicide

In a statement issued yesterday a spokesperson for the force said the man had sustained an injury after being detained for his own safety. One woman who also saw the arrest unfold thought he had been run over. Reading, Basingstoke, Berkshire

She said: "I came out of the doctors and saw it happen but as I got closer I saw he was covered in blood in the middle of the road… He had that much blood all over him I thought he had been run over."

An IOPC spokesperson said: “We received a referral from Merseyside Police following the arrest of a man on Sefton Road, Liverpool, on Monday 14 November. The information indicates the man arrested sustained a head injury during the arrest and was taken to hospital for treatment. We are assessing the available information to determine what further action is required.”

A spokesperson for Merseyside Police said: "We were called to a report of a concern for the safety of a man who was on a bridge and walking in traffic on Field Lane, Litherland on Monday, November 13. Officers attended and while detaining the man for his own safety, he sustained an injury to his head. Officers administered first aid and he was taken to hospital for treatment."

Don't miss the biggest and breaking stories by signing up to the Echo Daily newsletter here

Get a free National Trust pass worth up to £50 for your family day out this autumn

hydro jelly mask