Paedophile, drink driving mum and woman beater walk free

These are the criminals who avoided an immediate prison sentence after committing crimes with links to Merseyside.

Among those who have walked free after appearing at court is Christopher John Oldland, a paedophile who was caught with seven blades in his car at 5am.

Oldland, who volunteered as a leader at a scout group, had downloaded nearly 600 child sex abuse images.

Among the pictures of victims were children aged just three.

Zilch - No Credit Check Finance

Also spared an immediate custodial in June was Samantha Pye, a drink driver mum who 'almost killed' a couple and their dog.

The 24-year-old nearly hit the pair while speeding at 70mph in a 40mph zone.

Read the full details of these cases and others who were spared jail in June below.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here.

wirral airport transfers

Andrew Monks

Andrew Monks, 37, of Croxteth Drive, Sefton Park

Former soldier Andrew Monks was spared jail after kicking his girlfriend in the genitals.

The 37-year-old also stamped on her face multiple times and threatened to scoop out her eyeballs and torture her.

His partner, who the ECHO has chosen not to name, was told by Monks that she had driven him to carry out the attack.

The vile bully avoided an immediate jail sentence after he undertook horse therapy.

Monks, of Croxteth Drive, Sefton Park, has a history of domestic violence and once even battered his pregnant wife weeks after they were married.

Michael O'Brien, defending, explained Monks suffered from anxiety, depression and PTSD.

He also said the fact Monks had served his country is also mitigation and that he has worked as hard as he could on rehabilitation.

Rather than immediate custody, he was handed an 18 month sentence suspended for two years.

He was also ordered to attend a 20-day Rehabilitation Activity Requirement and a Building Better Relationships programme.

O'Brien was also told to pay £150 in compensation to the victim and to complete 80 hours of unpaid work.

Mark Cox

Mark Cox, 50, of Lister Drive, Stoneycroft, admitted exposure

Mark Cox exposed himself to a man in the toilets at Tesco after failing to wash his hands.

When he didn't wash his hands the 50-year-old was given a look by another customer that he should do so.

In response Cox, of Lister Drive, Stoneycroft, took out his penis.

The ex-carer said it was a misunderstanding and that he had had sexual encounters with men in public bathrooms in the past.

Cox was previously jailed for masturbating in front of an elderly woman with dementia.

His representative explained that Cox admitted guilt and was remorseful.

The 50-year-old was handed a sentence of two months in jail, suspended for 18 months, a 30-day Rehabilitation Activity Requirement, and 120 hours of unpaid work.

Jane Murray

Jane Murray threw a glass ashtray at a paramedic during a drunken rage.

The now mum-to-be had assaulted a paramedic, police officer and a detention officer.

Police officers were called when the 35-year-old, of Westmorland Drive, Liverpool, claimed she had been assaulted – and they discovered her drunk with a pool of blood in the middle of the floor.

Murray became aggressive towards the paramedic as he treated her and threw a glass ashtray at him.

She also splattered her own blood around the room and later kicked out at a detention officer.

The court heard how Murray suffers with depression and has been a victim of a domestic violence.

We have launched a Facebook group to bring you the latest stories from court all in one place.

It will feature reports from Liverpool Crown Court and cases connected to Merseyside.

To join and get updates, click here.

You can also follow our court reporter's Facebook page.

Since the incident Murray had become pregnant and had not drunk since.

She was given an eight month prison sentence suspended for 18 months and ordered to complete a 20-day Rehabilitation Activity Requirement.

The mum-to-be was also ordered to pay £300 to her victims.

Anthony Flynn

Anthony Flynn, a vulnerable drug addict, was forced to store cocaine for his dealer.

Upon raiding the 37-year-old's Edge Lane flat police found between £4,000 and £10,000 worth of cocaine.

Flynn was initially arrested due to a domestic incident when his partner claimed he had stolen her handbag.

After finding the stash the 37-year-old told cops that he had got into a drugs debt and owed his dealer – who then forced him to mind the drugs.

The court heard how Flynn had a long history of drug abuse and that he was "vulnerable" and left "scarred" after a stabbing, which was not related to this incident.

Flynn was sentenced to eight months in prison suspended for two years and was ordered to attend a drugs rehabilitation course.

Judge Anil Murray also order the drugs to be forfeited and destroyed.

Christopher John Oldland

Christopher John Oldland leaving court when he was first spared jail

A paedophile was caught with seven blades – including an axe – but walked free from court for a second time.

Christopher John Oldland, 56, a former Scout group leader, downloaded nearly 600 child sex abuse images, which included vile pictures of victims aged just three.

The dad-of-one was spared jail in January 2019, when he was handed a 42-week prison sentence, suspended for two years.

He admitted breaching his suspended sentence when he was found in Bootle with seven "work tools" which he "forgot" he had.

In June he was spared jail for a second time when a judge said sending him to prison would stop the good rehabilitation he had undertaken.

Oldland was said to have had a "good level of compliance" with a 60-day Rehabilitation Activity Requirement imposed in January last year.

He was handed four months in prison, suspended for 18 months.

Oldland, of Stanley Road, Bootle, was also ordered to undertake 120 hours of unpaid work, and 10 additional days of Rehabilitation Activity Requirement to mark the breach.

Samantha Pye

Drink driving mum Samantha Pye walks free from court

Samantha Pye was spared jail after she 'almost killed a couple and didn't care'.

The 24-year-old nearly hit Stephen Smith and his partner while she was speeding while nearly one and a half times over the limit.

Pye, of Holly Bank Street, St Helens, was seen waving her hands in the air as she drove at 70mph on Carr Mill Road, a 40mph zone.

The victims said that Pye showed no regard for them after the crash.

The drink-driver was already banned from the road after drug driving when she lost control at a roundabout and hit a kerb.

Drink driver Samantha Pye, 24, was spared jail because of her young son

Pye had previously been given a 12 month driving ban and a £120 fine for her previous offence.

She was spared jail on this occasion by a judge because of the impact her it could have on her four-year-old son.

T he court heard how she was "genuinely remorseful" and had turned to drink and drugs as she had been a victim of domestic violence.

Pye was handed a 12 month prison sentence suspended for 18 months.

Rajaratnam Gajendra-Kumar

Rajaratnam Gajendra-Kumar attempted to rob a pensioner while she was visiting a bank.

Robin Miller, 68, was at the Royal Bank of Scotland in Liverpool city centre last year when Gajendra-Kumar pounced.

The 50-year-old thief grabbed a shopping bag the man was carrying – despite the pensioner holding a wallet in his other hand.

Gajendra-Kumar decided to give up when he couldn't get the bag from Mr Miller's grip.

When he let go he caused the 68-year-old to fall backwards, crashing through an advertising sign and landing on the floor.


  • Reckless scrambler bikers cause chaos
  • Fracas outside Five Guys
  • Drunk schoolgirls launch brutal attack
  • Schoolboy robbed at knifepoint

After fleeing the 50-year-old, of Camden Street in Liverpool city centre, was caught up with by police on Castle Street.

The thief has 15 previous convictions for 31 offences.

Liverpool Crown Court heard how the defendant immediately admitted guilt and expressed remorse.

The 50-year-old has suffered with alcohol problems, but is now said to be tee-total.

Gajendra-Kumar has also briefly been sectioned at Clock View Hospital, the Mersey Care NHS Trust facility in Walton.

He was handed a 12 month custodial sentence suspended for 18 months, reduced also due to the current impact of coronavirus in prisons.

The judge also imposed a 40-day Rehabilitation Activity Requirement.

Mark Anthony Collins

Mark Anthony Collins, 33, of Albert Road, Widnes, leaves Liverpool Crown Court today.

Mark Anthony Collins led police on a 100mph chase into oncoming traffic before hiding in a field.

The 33-year-old admitted dangerous driving in Widnes on May 14 last year.

Collins, of Albert Road, Widnes, was in his Ford Mondeo when police saw him driving at speed and pursued him.

When he failed to stop for officers he led them on a chase, clocking speeds of up to 100mph.

Laughing in the face of the law

  • Eleven criminals with no shame
  • Wicked sisters
  • Drunk mum's wild flight
  • Grinning thug spared because of his kids

He drove into oncoming traffic on A562 and police did not pursue due to the danger.

However, after a search of the area Collins was discovered hiding in a field.

Collins has 31 convictions for 53 offences.

Simon Christie, defending, explained Collins has more stability in his life now as he has a job as a construction worker lined up and accommodation.

Collins received a sentence of 12 months in prison, suspended for 18 months.

He was also ordered to complete a thinking skills course, 20 days Rehabilitation Activity Requirement and 200 hours of unpaid work.