Mum dies hours after giving birth leaving husband ‘numb’

A mum died just hours after giving birth to her second child in Whiston Hospital.

Taylor Foster, 25, gave birth on Tuesday evening, six days before her due date, without any complications.

According to her husband, Sean, she only needed gas and air for the delivery of their 7lb 7oz son named Koa.

Describing Taylor as a "superstar", Sean, 31, left the mum and their newborn at the ward, while he returned to the family home in Wigan.

Zilch - No Credit Check Finance

However, early on Wednesday morning, maternity staff found Taylor unresponsive in bed.

Taylor and Sean with son Koa, who was born on Tuesday

Arriving at the hospital, Sean said medics were still doing chest compressions, but he was told nothing more could be done.

He says he still hasn't told their older son, two-year-old Elijah, who will struggle to contemplate what has happened.

Sean told the M.E.N: "I'm just numb, I don't know how to feel.

wirral airport transfers

"I have moments where I'm OK and trying to be strong for Elijah – I'm trying to keep him in his routine at nursery while I have time to process it all – but then I'll have other times when I just feel numb."

Taylor had started in labour after a regular check-up at hospital on Tuesday lunchtime. Apart from suffering heartburn, her pregnancy had been without complications.

Taylor, Sean and Elijah

Sean said: "She'd come home to monitor her contractions but we more or less had to get straight back there. We picked up a couple of things from home to drop at nursery for our other son as his auntie was picking him up and then we got back to the hospital about 4.30pm. Koa was born just an hour later.

"The birth was perfect. Taylor had asked for an epidural at one point but before they could even get the paperwork ready, she'd given birth."

Sean, who met Taylor seven years ago at the couple's workplace, Lowri Beck in Wigan, recalled the last time he spoke with his wife.

"After the birth she'd been up and walking around and got herself showered," he said. "I was there until about 11 when she was moved to another ward and I couldn't go in.

"Once at home I messaged her and told her how proud I was of her and that I loved her.

"She was fine and the nurses said she was fine when they checked on her throughout the night."

He added: "When they called me in the morning I rushed down there and when I got there they took me into a little room and explained what was going on.

"She was in ICU at this point and I asked them could I hold her hand while they were doing the compressions. When I was there they told me they'd been trying to treat her for different things like blood clots.

"Eventually he just said 'we'll stop when you're ready' as it was them keeping her alive, but there was nothing they could do to save her."

Sean paid tribute to his wife, who he married less than two years ago, and who he described as "wonderfully weird in her own way".

"She had her own little quirks that were unique to her. She was fierce and funny and she wouldn't take no for an answer," he said.

"Some people say they've lost a piece of the jigsaw, but she was the backboard and frame that held the jigsaw together.

"If anything could describe her she was meant to be a mum and she was a perfect mum. She'd always wanted to be a mum, she loved being a mum and she was born to do it."

Explaining that he hasn't yet broken the news to Elijah, he said: "I've been given lots of leaflets and information and I need to try to understand how best to approach it.

"He's mentioned her a couple of times but he doesn't really understand that she's not here. His nursery, Wendy House Nursery in Wigan, have been brilliant and they've said they'll help me with it."

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here.

Sean was due to bring son Koa Edward home from hospital on Friday, after he was kept in for checks. The couple had chosen his name together but Sean is now adding Taylor as a second middle name in tribute to his wife.

He added: "I just want to say how fond Taylor was of all the staff at Whiston. They cared for her through both pregnancies and I know they've been affected as well. I want to thank them for all their efforts."

Sean's brother Chris has set up a fundraising account to help pay towards funeral costs and bills for the family. The fund has smashed the £3.5k target in just a day and so far stands at £11.4k.

To donate, visit the website here.