Minute’s silence for Wirral bus driver Harry McIvor who died from coronavirus

windows wirral fitters seaview windows wallasey

COLLEAGUES of a Wirral bus driver who died from coronavirus will hold a minute's silence in his honour next week.

Harry McIvor passed away on Sunday after fighting the disease in hospital for three weeks.

The 70-year-old, who worked for Arriva and lived in Birkenhead, was described by family as a "loving husband, dad, and grandad."

Next Thursday (May 7) his colleagues will wear football shirts to raise money for Arrowe Park Hospital as a thank you to nursing staff.

wallasey printers liscard wallasey

The minute's silence in Harry's memory will take place at the firm's depot in Laird Street, Birkenhead at 3pm on the day.

The father of three and grandad of seven was originally from Glasgow. He married Sandy, 71, on September 14, 1974.

Wirral Globe:

Above: Harry and Sandy McIvor's wedding on September 14, 1974 and during celebrations for 40th anniversary. Pictures courtesy of Sharon McIvor

Wirral Globe:

Daughter Sharon told the Globe: "They met in Jersey where they were both working and fell in love the moment he set eyes on her."

wirral airport transfers mersesysideairportservice.co.uk

As well as Sharon, the couple's other children are Andy and Stewart.

Wirral Globe:

The McIvor family. Picture courtesy of Sharon McIvor

Paying tribute to the "best dad and best friend" Sharon said: "My dad was a family man; he was the very best of us.

"He was a loving husband, the most amazing dad and grandad.

"I would go on holiday with my mum and dad and my son. I would go round to his more often than I would go out with friends.

"He was a mad Celtic fan. It was the team of his heart and a big part of his life.

Wirral Globe:

Celtic fan Harry. Picture courtesy of Sharon McIvor

"He was an amazing person and I can't believe I will never be able to just pick up the phone and call him again.

"It's completely devastating. We feel like we've been robbed of him by this awful virus. He was a happy, active and healthy man."

Wirral Globe:

Harry and family on log flume during day out at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Picture: Sharon McIvor

Harry was taken to Arrowe Park Hospital on April 1 with breathing difficulties, body ache and fatigue. He was immediately placed in the High Dependency Unit before being transferred to intensive care.

His breathing became weaker and he was put into an induced coma on April 3.

Despite the best efforts of medical staff, Harry passed away just over three weeks later in intensive care.

His family visited to hospital the day before he passed away but due to the threat of the virus, only one family member was able to see him on the ward wearing full protective equipment.

Wirral Globe:

Recalling her last conversation with her father, Sharon (pictured with Harry, above) added: "My last conversation with my dad was a phone call before he went into a coma. He could hardly speak because he couldn't breath very well.

"I love you was the last thing I ever said to him.

"The day before he died, my mum, me and my two brothers went to the hospital to see him when we were told he had taken a turn for the worse.

"We decided that mum should be the one to go in and see him. She held his hand and told him how much she loved him. It was awful.

"I need people to know how serious this virus is.

"My dad paid the ultimate price for this awful virus. He thought that if he did contract it he would be able to fight it off. He was much more concerned about mum catching it."

The family paid tribute to all the staff at Arrowe Park Hospital who helped to treat Harry.

Among those paying tribute was former colleague Howard White. He said: "I've known Harry half my life. He was at Laird St with me for 14 years, and he always had time for a chat and a laugh, both there and more recently after I moved to Stagecoach.

"He had a brilliant sense of humour and the Glasgow accent to match.

"To lose a friend is poor; but to lose him in the current pandemic has made it a lot harder, more personal and hard-hitting.

"Worst of all for me, is knowing that I'll never get that big smile and wave, again, from a bus coming the other way. 'Til next time, big man. Celtic for the cup,"