A 51-year-old man is under investigation after a nurse's car was stolen from a city hospital grounds as she worked a night shift on the coronavirus frontline.
A cruel thief escaped with the BMW which was left in the car park of the Royal Liverpool Hospital on Friday night.
At the time, the NHS nurse was helping in the city's fight against coronavirus.
Shortly before 11.30pm, patrolling police spotted the same stolen car being driven erratically on Belmont Road in Anfield.
A man behind the wheel got out and tried to run away, police said, but he was quickly captured by pursuing officers.
The man, 51, was arrested for dangerous driving, aggravated vehicle taking and failing to stop.
He was taken into custody and quizzed by officers.
A Merseyside Police spokesman confirmed the suspect had been released under investigation.
He could be charged at a later date.
Pictures released by the force appeared to show the vehicle with damage close to the headlight on the driver's side.
After news of the heartless theft was announcement, a woman said on social media: "This is my mum's car.
"After the couple of weeks she's had, it's the last thing she needed.
"Thanks for the support, everyone.
"I'll let her know you wish her well."
The theft happened on the same day it was confirmed that 232 people in total had died on Merseyside after testing positive for Covid-19.
Figures released just hours before the crime revealed 634 confirmed coronavirus cases in Liverpool, up 47 from the previous day.
The crime outraged many, with one woman commenting: "Imagine how tough her shift was to come out to a missing car.
Late last night, tributes were paid to three more nurses, nationally, who died due to Covid-19, with more than 20 NHS staff now thought to have died with the virus.
Follow Luke on Twitter here
You can read more of his stories here
Email him at email@example.com or call 0151 330 5051 if you want to share any news, stories or updates.
Keep up to date with the latest breaking Liverpool news here
Like the ECHO News Facebook page here and follow @LivEchoNews on Twitter
And it was announced minister had signed off on £200m of funding for developing countries in a bid to prevent "future waves" of coronavirus infections hitting the UK.
The investment for the likes of the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Red Cross came as ministers said attention must turn to preventing the virus from overwhelming developing countries.