Huge blisters erupt on woman’s arm after walking next to plant

An unsuspecting dog walker is now covered in huge painful blisters after coming into contact with toxic weeds.

Georgia Venables, 24, is signed off work and going back and forth to A&E after 14 blisters erupted.

She came into contact with a giant hogweed after taking her dog, Belle, for a walk in fields in Chester.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here.

Zilch - No Credit Check Finance

Georgia told CheshireLive : "My dog had cut her foot and I was trying to sort her foot out and didn’t realise.

“I thought it was nettle stings at first. It’s like a burning sensation on my arm.”

The care assistant added: "I just don’t want it to happen to anyone else.

"It could blind someone."

wirral airport transfers

Georgia warns the plant is growing in a field by the junction of Appleyards Lane and Cross Hey near her home.


Blisters on Georgia Venables' left arm.

She is taking antibiotics to prevent infection and is on powerful painkillers.

Georgia said it looked as though someone had tried to tackle the hogweed at the field in Handbridge where she got hurt last Wednesday but unfortunately there’s "still some there".

What is hogweed?

Giant hogweed

Hogweed commonly grows near canals and rivers.

Hogweed looks like the innocuous cow parsley with white flowers clustered in an umbrella-shaped head that is up to 80cm in diameter.

Keep up to date with local news in your area by adding your postcode below

Look for a thick green stem spotted with dark red which varies from three to eight-centimetres thick.

Within 24-48 hours of first contact, rashes, burns and blisters may start to appear.

The toxins which are found in its leaves, stems, roots, flowers and seeds affect everyone but children are known to be particularly sensitive to the poison.

It can be transferred by contact and make exposed skin extremely sensitive to sunlight.