How to cut council tax by £1000s in just minutes

Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis has revealed how you can slash thousands of pounds off your council tax i n minutes.

The finance guru warned how many of us are paying too much for council tax, mostly as a result of being in the wrong council tax band.

Martin said: "Typical bills are £1,000+ a year, yet many wrongly assume they have to pay it in full as a done deal without considering the ways to slash it."

He listed a number of simple ways you can save some pennies in a matter of minutes.

Zilch - No Credit Check Finance

You're in the wrong band

Martin said: "Up to 400,000 are in too high a band. If you're in England or Scotland, use our council tax check and challenge system.

"If you're in too high a band, you can reclaim past overpayments and get reductions in future.

"Ann emailed: 'Your help meant after nearly 15yrs I queried my band. It was reduced and I got a £3k refund."'

wirral airport transfers

Read More

Top news stories

  • Man stabbed while having breakfast
  • Motorbike rider dies in crash
  • Deputy Mayor's party apology
  • NASA SpaceX launch cancelled

Payment holidays
Martin said: "Many councils offer payment holidays to those struggling due to coronavirus – but only if you ask."

It's judged on a case-by-case basis and the deferral length varies, so there's no certainty.

Some successful MoneySavingExpert users pushed April and May's payments back so payments started in June, other local councils were more generous offering a longer payment deferral.

Low income or benefits

If you're on benefits or a low income, you get up to 100% off, but Martin warns you will want to claim this as soon as possible as but as it may not be backdate-able, so the longer you wait, the less you get.

Living alone

For those who live alone or with under-18s and carers you can get 25% off your council tax bill and claim for past years.

Pay over 12 months not 10 months

If you live in England, you can ask to pay over 12 months, not 10.

This can make monthly budgeting a lot easier and save you some cash as a result.

All you have to do is contact your council and tell them you want to change to the new payment schedule.