Family thank people of Liverpool after losing father and son

windows wirral fitters seaview windows wallasey

A father and son who both died in an industrial accident were working on an elevated platform when it "collapsed", it has been claimed.

The accident at the Unity Building in Liverpool city centre claimed the lives of David Bottomley, 53, and his 17-year-old son Clayton.

David Bottomley died at the scene of the accident. Clayton spent days in a critical condition in hospital before ultimately losing his fight for survival.

The Health and Safety Executive have launched an investigation into the accident. Yesterday ( Friday) a spokesman described the investigation as "active".

wallasey printers liscard wallasey

Now a close friend of the Bottomley family has revealed new information about the incident to the ECHO.

The man, who asked not be named, said the father and son were working on a device known as a mast climber.

Father and son David and Clayton Bottomley from Yorkshire

He said : "David and Clayton were on a mast climber platform and were working on the top of the building.

"All we know is that the platform suddenly collapsed and fell from one section of the building to another.

wirral airport transfers

"We expect the investigation to now concentrate on why this happened. "

The father and son, from Knottingley in West Yorkshire, had been described as "inseparable" and like "peas in a pod."

David was an experienced insulation contractor and Clayton was a former Rugby League prodigy who had played for Castleford Tigers.

The family friend told the ECHO that the Bottomley family had been moved by the compassion offered by the people of Liverpool.

He said: "There have been so many kind messages and words that have really helped the family. They have been so very touched by the people of Liverpool. I can't really stress that enough."

A online fundraising appeal has now been launched to help the Bottomley family with funeral costs.

A tribute at the Unity Building.

The friend said: "Yes there are so many complications right now due to the nature of their deaths. The family need to help to pay for the funeral."

Fresh tributes appeared at the scene today, with teddy bears, flowers and cards.

One message left by staff at a nearby coffee shop read: "Sending our thoughts and wishes to Dave & Clayton's family. From Leah & the rest of Bean. Rest in peace."

Laing O’Rourke, who are the lead contractors on the site, have confirmed that the company would cooperate fully with the HSE investigation.

The Liverpool Echo sends newsletters on a wide range of topics – including our daily news bulletin, now going out three times a day.

There are others on what's on, politics, court news, Knowsley, Wirral, and arts & culture, as well as both Liverpool FC and Everton FC.

Signing up is free and it only takes a minute for you to get the biggest stories, sent straight to your inbox.

How to sign up for an Echo Email Update

1) Go to our dedicated newsletter page at this link.

2) Put your email in the box where indicated

3) Tick as many boxes as you like, for each newsletter you want.

4) Press Save changes and that's it!

A Laing O’Rourke spokesperson said: "Our Health and Safety team is at the site and we and our sub-contractors will cooperate fully with the investigation into what happened. Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the men at this extremely difficult time.”

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said: “HSE are aware and are investigating with the police.”

To contribute to the fundraising appeal go here.