City's lost 'Fourth Grace' where Liverpool ONE now stands
The Custom House is one of the city's most famous lost landmarks
Long before Liverpool ONE was built one of the city's most famous landmarks stood in its place.
The Custom House, otherwise known as Liverpool's Fourth Grace, was designed by architect John Foster and opened in 1839.
The giant dome structure took eleven years to build on what had been the site of Liverpool’s Old Dock.
It was built in a giant H shape, with columned facades facing Canning Dock and the streets around, and housed dock and customs offices.
The main function of the Custom House was to collect tolls and excise duties, very important elements in the running of the port.
During WWII Liverpool was the most heavily bombed city outside of London due to the strategic importance of its docks and river.
The Custom House was one of many historic buildings to be badly damaged during the Blitz of May 1941, when fire bombs sent the building up in flames.
Despite the damage, its shell survived for another seven years, until it was controversially pulled down in 1948.
The site lay empty for years and nothing was built on the foundations until 1963.
Today the site is part of the Liverpool ONE complex where the Hilton Hotel now stands.
Photos taken from the ECHO archives show what the famous building once looked like and its eventual demolition.
Join our Liverpool memories and history group